Wednesday, November 30, 2011

TO COOK AN ELEPHANT

I could use a recipe here.... The elephant I'm carrying is getting heavier by the hour - because his name is Indecision. So I ask myself, what do I want to do, where do I want to go and what do I want to accomplish?

Ironically, some years back, I taught a series of life skills lectures designed to help men and whomen resolve dilemmas - BIG dilemmas. The series began with Start From Where You Stand, which is always good advice, and included How to Cook an Elephant... Now that's the recipe I need to heed.

Every man is the architect of his own fate. ~ Appius Claudius Caeus ~

I will need to describe the problem, design a plan and identify the goal. I will Start Where I Stand, cut my weighty problem into meanageable pieces, follow the recipe and get cooking...

The Problems: pursue a college degree; redecorate my home interior; travel the United States; read and write more; get a dog.
The Possibilities (considerations): I want a PhD before I die; my last home interior redo was a decade ago; travel is enjoyable but physically punishing - perhaps day trips are more manageable; reading and writing are enjoyable and rewarding though sight is a bit weak; a guardian dog is for personal safety (although a duck is a better alarm system, ducks aren't guardians and they are not allowed in my neighborhood).
The Priorities: #1: to read and write daily; #2: redo home interior; #3: take day trips and consider travel tours as they come available; #4: Some form of home safety and alert system; #5: pursue PhD. (okay, priorities were out of order...).
The Goals: get an eye exam, consider new glasses to read and write daily and set daily, weekly and read/write goals; identify specific redecorating needed and wanted, get estimates, contract and accomplish same. Plan day trips (one per month) and tours (one or two in 2012) with consideration to physical health and travel accommodations. Carefully weigh pros and cons of electronic alarm systems vs. animal alert before making decision. Continue search for on-line doctorate degree program.
The Plan: Set timetable and roadmap for each goal.
Take the Action: Take steps to accomplish goals. Be flexible.
Enjoy the Rewards of Accomplishment.

Still, round the corner there may wait, A new road or a new gate. ~J.R.R. Tolkein~

Whew.... Even an elephant is easily managed - with a good recipe.

What is your recipe for Cooking an Elephant?
Tell me. I'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment