Sunday, May 22, 2011

GOOD MORNING - SURVIVORS

Saturday, May 21, 2011. The World Ended.
Sunday morning. I survived and, apparently, you are a survivor, too!

Are you surprised to be here? I'm not. I live a simple life, one day at a time. Although I do wake up every morning surprised and pleased to be alive. Some days I am excited about all I get to do before the day ends. Some days I am content with very small accomplishments.

All this 'End of the World' foolishness has made me wonder why some old geezer from California thinks he can stir together science, religion and numbers (a theory that comes right out of the Middle Ages) and deduce a formula (as I read somewhere) of atonement x completeness x heaven, square = Judgement Day or Rapture or Finis. What kind of thrill did the old guy get from peddling fear? Was he looking for fifteen minutes of fame? He performed the same stunt in 1997 - with the same result.

Why were so many people caught in this web of fear? Had we forgotten, already, the disastrous results to individuals paying homage to Harold Camping's predecessors? Marshall Applewhite and 39 cult members, as a result of some science, religion, evolution formula, suicided in order to reach an alien aircraft they came to believe was following the Comet Hale-Bopp on March 25-26, 1997. William Miller's 1840 prediction the earth would be engulfed in fire on March 21, 1843 created unwarranted fear in large populations of people. David Karesh and Jim Jones created fear then provided isolated communities to 'protect' the men, women and children residing and imprisoned in them; resulting in death to all.

I have no issue with science, religion, numbers or history. Each element, to some degree, has enhanced my health, happiness and peace of mind. I am, however, inclined to doubt and question most ideas presented as 'fact' without adequate validation. As my Dad would say, "Just because it is written doesn't make it so." I like proof and a track record before I invest - being safe rather than sorry.

Although I may grumble about circumstances or health, it is often fear-based. I do appreciate that I am alive today and agree with John Garfield, the American actor who said, "I have had many troubles in my life, but the worst of them never came."

Perhaps this doomsday prediction has a positive side. We are reminded: A new beginning can begin at any time, so, why not replace unnecessary fear by adding laughter, appreciation, faith, awareness and gratitude to our life. Why not enjoy each day to its fullest.

If you survived May 21, 2011, what are you going to do with the rest of your life? I'd like to know....

No comments:

Post a Comment