Monday, January 28, 2013

UPSIDE DOWN & BACKWARD

I live in a backward world that turned up-side-down as well.  I'd like to blame old age, but I think today's dilemma was real at every age.  To begin my day, in the darkness of night, I squinted my eyes to make out the digital numbers on my alarm clock.  Either I wasn't getting them in focus, which happens with glaucoma and AMD, or my clock had gone goofy.  Had I just fallen asleep or was I five hours late waking up?  I had purposely been waking in the middle of the night to watch Australian Open tennis matches this week but winners were declared and trophies awarded.  I had no need to watch.  Perhaps I'm the one who had gone goofy instead of the clock.

I got up, turned on the light and put on my glasses.  It didn't help.  The clock showed the time as EE:S.  That's not funny.  The law of rational life indicates there is a reason for everything.  With that in mind, I discovered Daphne, my fat, old orange-striped cat, had knocked the clock over so that 5:33 appeared to be EE:S - am or pm?

Upside down wasn't enough.  I headed right into backward.  Unusual Ozark temperatures have confused us this January.  High temps filled some days then dipping very low some nights.  While the 'official' reading for today is 66' my porch thermometer read 74' so I made my way to the white wicker chairs with flowered red cushions on my veranda and occupied one long enough to complete today's crossword puzzle.  It was delicious fun.  It is January and snow should be on the ground, a nip in the air and icicles dangling from gutters but I sat warm and comfy with pen and puzzle in hand.

Mild winters are nice.  Green spikes are poking up out of the ground.  Crocus and jonquil won't be far behind.  Plants stored in basements, garages and greenhouses are awakening early.  My neighbor's shamrock plant is bursting with Irish green and dainty blossoms.  My hibiscus and snaky purple plant beg for water as their branches and tendrils try to grab my arm when I walk by them.  I tell them it is too early to go out and bask in the sun tho I do feel sorry for their garage confinement.  I also feel guilty because I enjoyed absorbing today's sun without them.  Maybe I'll provide them with a plastic greenhouse for next year - maybe.

So the season is backward and my clock was upside-down.  I don't know why I'm surprised.  That's how most of my retirement life has been.  Without calendar, clock and TV, I'd never know the day, date, season or time - and, for the most part, don't really care.  I promise, however,  to be grateful next time I make out the correct time on my digital clock, through squinting eyes, especially if 5:33 a.m. is right-side up.

Have you ever had an up-side down day?  Tell me about it.  I'd like to know.
Nancy yTe \         

No comments:

Post a Comment